Our just-opened data center in Plano, Texas, will ultimately serve up 30 megawatts of IT capacity to enterprises, governments, service providers, and education institutions. The data center offers everything you’d expect: designed to Tier III standards, 24x7x365 access, 100% Uptime SLA. But there are other reasons to love Aligned Data Centers in Plano. They come down to experience and reliability.
At 2800 Summit Ave., we’ve got 300,000 square feet on 16 acres that will ultimately serve up 30 megawatts of IT capacity to enterprises, governments, service providers, and education institutions. The ultra-efficient, ultra-reliable data center allows you to align your data center to your business.
Why choose Aligned Data Centers in Plano? Here are 11 reasons:
#1: The people
You’re in safe hands. A team of some of the brightest industry veterans has designed, built, and will run the Plano data center. Together, our facilities and operations management team has 300 years of experience at organizations including Google, Microsoft, HP, the U.S. Navy, and Yahoo.
Our goal with this stellar team was not to do things the way they’ve always been done. It was to break open the box and build a better data center. For you, that means more reliability, more efficiency, and a pay-for-use, consumption-based pricing model.
#2: The always-on support
We leverage an integrated controls and monitoring platform that is currently being used to manage 26 data centers and 9 million data points. We provide you with true transparency and control; your customer portal provides rack-level, real-time capacity management information. And an onsite support and operations team is available to answer your questions and address any concerns.
#3: The model
We are the first data center provider to offer pay-for-use pricing, so you can secure the capacity you need but pay for just what you use. We dynamically provision the data center to meet your needs, from 3 kW to 25 kW per rack.
#4: The reliability
Our Plano data center is certified Tier III concurrently maintainable. But we consider that table stakes; we go way beyond that requirement. Why? We deliver a better, more reliable data center to benefit you.
#5: The power infrastructure
We utilize the most energy efficient and resilient electrical and mechanical systems available on the market today, which lowers cost and boosts reliability for you. Industry-leading innovation includes inverted topology that simplifies system operation. The UPS system backs up the entire facility, including all mechanical systems and administrative space. And supporting utility infrastructure is outside of the data hall to reduce risk.
- Utility – We have fully diverse power coming into the facility via two different routes, from two different substations.
- Generation – Our power generation system is built for efficiency, reliability, and cost effectiveness. We have dual infrastructure monitoring, on-site and off-site. PowerSecure Power Blocks are deployed in 2,500kW increments delivering N+4 resiliency. Industry leading, mass-produced Volvo engines deliver reliability. (Our generators are 2.8 times more reliable than the diesel backup generation used for a nuclear power plant.) We have worked directly with PowerSecure to dramatically improve generator performance and speed; the parallel is less than 10 seconds (compared to at least 30 seconds in a traditional data center). And because the Power Blocks are modular, we can rapidly replace a failed section.
- Metering – Power is metered and tracked at the rack-level to provide full visibility into utilization and energy usage.
- Distribution – Starline electrical busways enable plug-and-play power deployments up to 25kW per rack. This highly reliable medium-voltage distribution system enables reduced costs through simpler, safer, one-person operation, and by handling more loads per unit. Circuits are scalable from high to low density. Innovative features minimize outage duration. And our relationship with the supplier enables just-in-time delivery – so you’re in control of when and how you scale.
- UPS – The uninterruptible power supply is a utility grade system with redundant components. It is also highly efficient, running at 98.5 percent energy efficiency regardless of IT load. We use 20-year lithium ion, concurrently maintainable batteries. So where most data centers have to swap out their batteries every 5-7 years, ours run much longer. And they’re larger, so we can deploy more capacity. In addition, the UPS is modular, comprised of segregated, hot-swappable batteries so any section can be quickly replaced. And where most data centers close couple UPS to the IT load to save money, our UPS protects the entire facility, because we recognize that it’s all critical.
See for yourself – schedule a tour
#6: The cooling infrastructure
Ours is “the most reliable cooling system in the marketplace,” according to Steve Fairfax, President of MTechnology, and a specialist in data center reliability. 2N resiliency is engineered into every component of our mechanical system – so you get 2N resiliency to the rack, which is unheard of among traditional data centers. And you don’t have to sacrifice efficiency to get it: our patented conductive cooling system uses dramatically less energy and water than traditional systems – good for the environment, and good for your bottom line. And it’s all modular, which combined with our lean infrastructure management model means weeks not months from order to deployment.
- Hot Aisle Containment – Provide cooling exactly where it’s needed. We utilize configurable, ultra-efficient heat sinks that can dynamically adapt cooling to match IT loads regardless of rack density.
- Cooling Distribution Units – With a flexible design and unique mesh architecture, the cooling distribution unit is elegantly simple. Multiple 2N components and a distributed architecture removes chillers as a central point of failure and removes the risk associated with chiller upgrades. A modular, high quality piping/valving system enables the CDU to be plug-and-play. The closed-loop heat rejection system minimizes exposure to outside air in the data center. And the system relies on free cooling throughout most of the year, even in hot climates. Each cooling distribution unit is rated for 100 tons in passive cooling mode and draws only 500 watts.
- Thermal Bus – A super-highway for heat transfer, the thermal bus is significantly more efficient at moving heat than traditional forced air systems. The modular system delivers three times more cooling capacity.
#7: The network
- Carrier-neutral – You have access to multiple top-tier telecommunications carriers and can cross connect to your preferred carrier for free. Initial available carriers include Time Warner, Verizon, Zayo, UPN, and Level 3. The data center is designed for 12 independent carriers.
- Multiple points of entry – Multiple, diverse fiber entry vaults ensure your applications stay online 24x7x365.
- Meet-me-rooms – Two dedicated meet-me-rooms give carriers the capacity they need without accessing the data center space.
Security is an essential pre-requisite for reliability. There are five levels of security from entry to the data hall.
But tight security can be a hassle for customers when it delays getting onsite. We maintain the highest level of security while eliminating the hassle through:
- 24x7x365 on-site security guards – These personnel are employees of Aligned Data Centers. Many former military and law enforcement, the guard staff can determine risk, make decisions, and solve problems. In case of an intrusion, the well-trained guard staff are first responders.
- Customer defined control devices and access control lists – Multi-authentication mantraps prevent unauthorized access. RFID armbands keep track of visitors to the data center and limit access to authorized areas only.
Additional security measures include:
- Facilitated mantraps
- Biometric access controls
- Verifiable, authenticated ID scanning procedure applies to every person who walks through the door
- Perimeter fencing, guard gates, and bollards – and perimeter beam detection
- Video surveillance
- Onsite Operations Command Center
- Both hard-walled suites and cages available
#9: The location
The Plano data center is 30 minutes from both the Dallas-Fort Worth (DWF) International Airport and Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL). A Central Time Zone location provides quick access to both U.S. coasts and direct flights to international destinations.
And, we’re just close enough to provide easy access to highways I-75 and I-190 (you can be in downtown Dallas within minutes) but not so close that a highway accident could affect data center operations.
#10: Expansion space
There are 218,000 square feet of space available that we can expand into as our customers’ needs grow. The onsite power substation has expansion capabilities up to 30 MW of IT load.
#11: Creature comforts
At Aligned Data Centers, keeping the data center available is our priority #1. But we haven’t ignored the people in the process. We have a concierge mindset; we anticipate what our customers need.
So at the Plano data center, 100 parking spaces and 12,000 square feet of onsite office space make it easy for our customers to do business. The space includes conference rooms, private meeting rooms, a kitchenette, and a café. And because we know that late nights at the data center do happen, we’ve got private bathrooms with showers onsite. Plus, we provide logistics support – assistance with shipping and receiving with RFID package tracking.
I hope I’ve given you a sense of the benefits the Aligned Data Centers facility in Plano provides. But really, you have to experience it for yourself. Schedule a tour.