JOB TITLE: Director, Data Center Engineering
DEPARTMENT: Platform Delivery
REPORTS TO: VP, Design & Procurement
SUMMARY: As a key contributor to the Platform Delivery Team, this individual will be a subject matter expert in the development of complex electrical and mechanical infrastructure, including detailed involvement in reviewing all design drawings and OFE submittals. This individual will be responsible for providing recommendations for improving costs and performance of our existing and future systems design and equipment. Working under the direction of our VP, will oversee all aspects Aligned technical program which encompasses the full life cycle of data center development. This role requires strong communication skills and demonstrates advanced organizational and time management competencies.
Must be willing to travel up to 25%
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Own and manage all power system designs through the design and installation lifecycle. Identify and resolve issues raised by the cross-functional teams and various external stakeholders.
- Provide electrical and mechanical mission-critical system review services to local data center operations teams.
- Provide instructions to design consultants, installation contractors and validate the quality of installed work.
- Develops electrical and mechanical products by studying customer requirements; researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials.
- Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment and major repairs.
- Support of Operations and Platform Delivery including failure mode and root cause analysis, maintenance and troubleshooting support, and best practices.
- Travel to data center sites for engineering studies, electrical systems audits, startup testing, and full commissioning, as required.
- Assist with communicating conceptual designs to multiple internal Aligned teams with required project documentation prior to and during construction.
- Provide support to the Platform team during the RFP process as requested.
- Support day-to-day pre-construction projects and initiatives (engage with architects and equipment providers as required).
- Collaborate and work closely with internal Procurement, Platform, and Finance teams during pre-con process with the ability to problem-solve and define production requirements.
STRONGLY DESIRED WORKING EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Knowledge and experience working with CAD or Revit.
- Design drawing familiarity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience in data center or mission critical electrical and mechanical design, construction and operations
- PE License in the Electrical field preferred
- SME with interpreting constructions drawings and equipment specifications
- Experience troubleshooting technical problems during startup and commissioning.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to understand construction project scopes.
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Judgement – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to talk to you. Email [email protected] to learn more about our open roles.
Our employees enjoy great benefits, a flexible work environment and open PTO.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Aligned is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.